Of the different types of buttercream (American, Italian meringue, Swiss meringue & French), I prefer working with the Italian meringue. It’s soft, silky smooth, and light just like the Swiss & French, but it’s my favourite when it comes to making it. Sugar is cooked with water until 240F and then slowly added to the frothy egg whites. Room temperature butter follows, ending with the flavour of choice. It’s faster to make compared to the Swiss method, which is equally tasty.
enough to frost 13-15 cupcakes
cookies n’ cream italian meringue buttercream
70g egg whites (around 2 egg whites)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/8 cup water
1 cup butter, room temperature
5 oreo cookies, crushed
1. Place the oreo cookies into a bag and using a rolling pin, crush the cookies into pieces.
2. In a saucepan, add the sugar and water and boil until it reaches 240F.
3. When the candy thermometer reaches 230F, whisk the egg whites until frothy.
4. Slowly add the hot syrup into the egg whites and continue whisking until cooled, around 5-7 minutes.
5. Add the butter a little at a time, until well-incorporated.
6. Lastly, add the crushed oreo cookies until just combined.
7. Using a open star tip, pipe the buttercream onto your cupcakes.